Let me tell you why:
1. New Cars are too expensive. They have far exceeded the rate of inflation, not to mention ‘real’ wages. Of course, considering how much money the executives of the car companies are raking in every year, I shouldn’t be surprised.
2. I refuse to enter into a seven year loan to buy a fucking car. Cars are not investments. Cars are like blenders; you use them and they depreciate in value.
3. I have no need for an SUV. They are the symbols of why the rest of world hates America. I refuse to own one. Same with a mini-van or station wagon – the hounds don’t take up THAT much room!
4. For some reason, everyone selling used cars seems to think that regardless of year, mileage, equipment or condition, all vehicles are within 1 to 2 grand in price, the Kelly Blue Book value be damned.
5. Newspapers & internet advertising is worthless. Most internet sites don’t tell you when the listing was posted. So it could’ve been yesterday, a week or three months ago. No way to know.
6. While car dealerships are eager to put the listing online or in the paper or whatever, they are lacksidaisical about removing them. This means that, more often than not, the car you’re interested in has been sold. If you’re caught on the lot, then…
7. The salesperson won’t let you go without a fight. I came her to look at a VW Beetle, what the hell makes you think I’d be interested in a Chevy Malibu?
8. There are simply certain car makes and models that will begin falling apart after so many miles, and no amount of propoganda will alter my opinion of this fact. Therefore, I simply refuse to entertain the idea of them.
9. I don’t do manual transmission. I can – I simply won’t.
10. Most cars are boring. They all look the same. They are not aesthetically pleasing. This is the reason witnesses say, “It was a dark sedan/light-colored van/dark SUV” and why all cops roll their eyes in frustration. They are simply interchangeable and that doesn’t get it done for me.
So if you see me walking down the side of the road in the near future, have pity on me and offer me a ride.