I applaud this reporter for actually doing his job: conducting research, asking hard questions, and telling the truth. The transplant industry is a complicated creature with many heads, and they are all masters at obfuscation and diversion. As an advocate, I appreciate that someone cared enough to bring this story to the public.
– the program failed to meet six out of twelve federal standards.
– transplant recipients’ three-year survival rates were too low.
– no follow-up on ‘adverse events’ [note: I adore this phrase btw, it’s such an absurd euphemism for “we killed or maimed someone”]
– shoddy record-keeping: eg. half their waitlisted patients were actually ineligible. [note: this is why we should view the alarmist numbers on the waitlist with suspicion]
– and not surprisingly, they lied, lied, lied to the public about their reasons for closing.